Turnitin is enabled on a per-assignment basis in Canvas. The Turnitin LTI currently includes a few limitations when creating assignments:
- You cannot use Turnitin with group assignments.
- Turnitin assignments cannot include more than one submission date; differentiated due dates are not supported.
- You cannot restrict student submission types. By default Turnitin always allows students to submit their assignment as a text entry or upload any supported file type: Text (.txt), Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx), Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx), Postcript (.ps), Portable Document Format (.pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), HyperText Markup Language (.html), WordPerfect (.wp), Hangul (.hwp), or Open Office (.odt/.ods/.odp). They can also upload an assignment from Google Drive or Dropbox. Turnitin does not allow students to submit unsupported file types.
- Students cannot submit multiple file uploads.
- If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Create the assignment with any other submission type, save the assignment, add the rubric, and then edit the assignment to select the External Tool.
Creating a TurnItIn Assignment
- In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
- Click the Add Assignment button.
- Add assignment details (name, description, points, assignment group, display grade as).
- In the Submission Type drop-down menu, select the External Tool option.
- In the URL field, click the Find button.
- Click the Turnitin LTI tool, then check the Load in a new tab checkbox. Click the Select button.
- Set due or availability dates for the assignment (these dates appear throughout Canvas like regular assignments).
- Click the Save button.